Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is a NYC rescue that we have had over a year. Since

Customer Question

My cat is a NYC rescue that we have had over a year. Since we have had the cat, he has had chronic sinus issues, his nose runs constantly and the discharge is often mucous mixed w/blood that dries at end of his nose. He has been examined and scoped for polyps and obstructions to no avail.
Recently his running nose appeared to dry up, and we were thrilled. However, that was short lived because his nose began running again and the discharge is now primarily thick and yellowy. He is also having difficulty walking and climbing. At first it appeared that his back leg(s) may have been injured, but upon further observation, we have noticed his gait is unsteady (he is listing to right when he walks and he either goes into wall or falls down easily a lot), he is walking in circles more often, he is tilting his head to the right too. Most disconcerting though is his refusal to drink or eat anything. We are trying to give him water through a large syringe
We thought this might be a sinus / ear infection. We have plenty of meds (Cipro drops, ear cleaning solution, decongestants) that we have received from vets who tried to help with his condition, and they appear to be helping a bit though he hates when we administer them and he fights us and/or runs and hides. Are we on the right track? He hates to go to the vet, and we prefer not to have to drag him out in the cold and worsen his condition and traumatize him any further then he already is.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions, though to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago was he scoped?

How long has it been since he has eaten or drank anything?