Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

We ran out of our normal cat food (Wysong Epigen 90 dry

Customer Question

We ran out of our normal cat food (Wysong Epigen 90 dry food) and until the order came in we gave Chance some 9 lives kibble. He has had 2 or 3 feedings of it and we noticed he was walking hunched up and wouldn't make his usual jumps to look out windows or get on furniture.
About an hour ago he had a pretty large amount of very watery diarrhea. I was considering giving him some Imodium (2 mg) but I am afraid to do that without asking a veterinarian, you!! :)
If it isn't okay could you suggest something else as he is in pain?
Thanks,
Cathy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cathy, this is Dr. Gabby. I would try 1/4 of a 2 mg tablet. It can be used in cats. Occasionally a cat can have an adverse reaction and become hyper-excited. I have never seen that happen but it is in the books.

I would fast him for 12 hours. During the fast he can have all the water he wants but no food. After the fast, offer him once bite of food. If he does not have diarrhea for an hour he can gradually have more.

Probiotics help put the good bacteria back into the intestines. You can try proviable or fortiflora and they sell both of those at petsmart.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?