Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

18 month old cat. Urine test is 41. Blood tests show low red

Customer Question

18 month old cat. Urine test is 41. Blood tests show low red blood cells, low protein, low plasmas and extreme anemia. Enlarged Liver. 103 fever. Jaundice. He has gone from 11 pounds to 7 but not fast...over time (2-3 months). He's not an outside cat either....maybe 30 minutes total this past summer.
As of Monday, Jan 4th he's eating, drinking and using litter box. Today, Jan. 6th...his eating is slowing, drinking and he's acting like he can't see or going blind. On Jan 4th I changed his diet to a high protein diet. He loved at first...today..not so much.
Suggestions? Tomorrow I am calling Vet to get an antibiotic...and to make sure he was vaccinated for panleukoenia and calicivirus. I think it's FVR. He's got dark eye discharge and mouth sores. Doesn't currently look jaundice...
What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

When you say that his Urine test is 41, what value are you referring to?

Does his abdomen seem enlarged or swollen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Vet said low was 30 so his kidneys were fine/functioning. No...he is skinny. Bones and skin. Looking for food at least he was. When I try to touch his tummy he draws up his hind legs and wants to push me away. Likes he's in pain.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I do need to make sure we are on the same page, though. Are you referring to his BUN on his blood work when you say that the "urine test is 41?"

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I wasn't sure if you were going to respond back, so I at least wanted to give you something based on what you have posted so far. FVR is possible, but it seems like the symptoms are more severe than what we usually see. I would be more concerned about calicivirus. It may help for your vet to get swabs for testing to see if there is an infectious agent. I would also test him for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). Both of these can cause similar signs, especially with the mouth sores. Lastly, I would also be very concerned about potential feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). He is still of that age where see may see affected cats. The problem is that FIP can be difficult to diagnose. There is not a good reliable test for it. If it is FIP, I would be more concerned about the "dry" form (granulomatous lesions on the organs) as opposed to the "wet form" (abdomen fill up with fluid). Wet is more common, but dry is much harder to diagnose without biopsies. It would probably be a good idea to get some antibiotics started because there can be a secondary bacterial infection, but I would pursue some testing, including full blood work, to see what else needs to be done. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.