Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat ....male orange tabby...pees everywhere. I was gone

Customer Question

My cat ....male orange tabby...pees everywhere. I was gone overnight and found pee on my suitcase and came home to pee in several places on carpet, tile, kitchen counter and bathtub. I spent several hundred last year and it was decided it was behavior . I have had this kitten since he was four days old....he was a foster we decided to keep. He is very healthy otherwise....I am at my wits end. He is 12....will I be judges poorly if I put him down? My carpet is ruined....he has multiple clean litter boxes....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am so sorry to hear that P. Kitty doesn't like his litter box.

What diets have you tried with your kitty?

Have you tried psychotropic medications such as amitriptyline?
How about Adequan? This is a joint supplement typically used for dogs, but it can also increase mucus in the bladder, improving bladder comfort in cats.

Have you tried herbal calming remedies such as Composure (available over the counter from Amazon)?

Have you tried offering different substrates such as area rugs, different types of litter (clay, corn cob, clumping, etc), potty pads?

How about arthritis? Does he maybe have trouble getting in and out of the box? Have you tried pain medication? Steroids?

Lastly, have you considered a behavioral consultation with a veterinary behaviorist? They may have some other ideas to improve box usage.

Are any of these ideas new? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is P Kitty this evening? Were you able to talk to your vet about some of the alternative suggestions I made? Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. A