Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has scabs he keeps scratching all over s head and

Customer Question

my cat has scabs he keeps scratching all over his head and ears and neck. What is this and what do I do? I've given him his flea treatment and changed foods and now it's worse.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What is the flea/tick medication you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frontline
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like an allergic reaction. It could be to the carrier agent in Frontline, so trying a different flea preventative might help.

Switching brands of food does not always actually change the diet. If he has an allergy to chicken, and there is chicken in both the Meow Mix and what he is eating now, he would still break out in scabs and itch, if this is a food allergy. You could try a limited ingredient diet, with only one protein source, and be sure that it is a protein not in what he is eating now.

Usually the medication that helps this kind of itching in cats is prednisone, a prescription medication. Antihistamines do not work as well with allergies in cats as they do for people and dogs, but still you could try 5 to 10 mg of Benadryl twice daily or 2.5 mg of Claritin once daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Max? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Let me know if this was helpful