Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Just researching the issue on one of my cats ingesting 3/4

Customer Question

Customer: Hello. Just researching the issue on one of my cats ingesting 3/4 of a Sentinel for dogs. My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have to cut the tabs up for my dog and he still likes the coating and doesn't eat the pill so I was going to give it to him in pill pockets. I left the remain 3/4s of the pill in his bowl and the cat ate it. I can't find them anywhere.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I think I found want I needed on this website. Someone else had the same question. However, I am glad this resource is out here. Thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Sentinel contains milbemycin and lufenuron. The dose of milbemycin is minuscule when used as a heartworm preventative and is a non-issue in your cat; in fact, it can be used as a heartworm preventative in cats. Lufenuron is a chitin synthesis inhibitor also prescribed to cats. Adverse effects reported in cats after oral lufenuron include vomiting, lethary/depression, pruritis/urticaria (itchiness/"hives"), diarrea, dyspnea (difficult breathing), anorexia, and reddened skin. The manufacturer reports that the adverse reaction rate is than 5 animals in one million doses, however. I suspect that your cat is going to remain unaffected.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?