Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Our cat, male 12 years, has been diagnosed with irritable

Customer Question
bowel syndrome ( about 3...
our cat, male 12 years, has been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome ( about 3 years ago) and has been throwing up clear for the past few days.recently introduced to a new puppy may be upsetting him but since he has had this condition it flairs up every few months. going to our vet has become a very expensive trip. any advise or home remedies?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/3/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatments is he on for the IBD?

Can he keep water down just now?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
depo-penicillin injection, cerenia injection, drontal 18.2 mg, veraflox 25mg, he seems hydrated, we have 3 other cats so its a little hard to tell how much he is drinking,gums are a dark color blackish gray, pressing on his belly hurts him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
these treatments are not on going. these are past treatments. is there any home treatments or procedures we could do?

Thank you,

Is that his normal gum color?

When did he last get those injections?

Can you confirm if he is likely to have eaten something non-edible or harmful (ie toys, bones, plants, chemicals, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by the way riggs is a bengal

Hi again,

I didn't hear back from you regarding those few secondary questions I asked. In case you didn't seem them, I asked:

Is that his normal gum color?

When did he last get those injections?

Has he been passing urine normally?

Hi again,

I still have not heard back from you, so I do want to at least leave my thoughts for your return. Now that belly discomfort is a concern here. It could be related to pancreatitis or gastroenteritis but we could also see this and his other signs alongside gut or urinary blockages. Therefore, if he is not passing urine or could have eaten something non-edible, then we’d want to have him checked urgently.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, to try to reduce his nausea, we can try Riggs on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Just to note, if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Though if he can keep that down and once it is on board, we can try him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, the pup could stress him to trigger an elevation of his stress hormones thus dampening the immune system and letting an opportunistic infection gain a foothold. Still, we do have those other more severe concerns, especially with his belly discomfort. So, we can try the above but do keep a close eye on him. If there is any risk of either blockage or he doesn't settle in 24 hours (since long term vomiting can lead to dehydration and fatty liver syndrome in cats), then we'd need to have him checked for further treatment to get this settled for Riggs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure about the color, injections were more than a year ago, we have 3 other cats so its hard to answer the urine question, we do not feel he ate anything inappropriate. we are going to isolate him so we can better understand his potty and eating, drinking habits. any other advice would be appreciated.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that you don't suspect a harmful ingestion and isolating him to see what he is up to is ideal. Otherwise, we'd want to start the aforementioned antacids to reduce his nausea and a light diet if we can get him more settled.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian