Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm a very experienced ER Nurse ... it's 2am and one of my

Customer Question

I'm a very experienced ER Nurse for Humans... it's 2am and one of my cats (17 LB / 7.7 KG Male 8 YO) ate my other cat's food (he's allergic to it) has done this before and I am positive he isn't going into anaphylaxis.
He had a brief spell of coughing that looked like feline asthma- he has had it before... (and I had an old cat with that so I'm very familiar w/ those s/s) The coughing has stopped... and he's acting normal. Lung sounds clear in all fields to auscultation. I have famotidine 10 MG in the house (Rx for my other cat) and we give that to allergic PT's in the ER for allergic reactions b/c it's an H2 blocker. I also have Chlorpheniramine 4 mg (Rx for my other cat) and would like to know which would be the better choice to give him to stop the allergic reaction and I will be taking him to the vet in the AM for follow up when they open so they can check him out> I also have asthma so I have Proair HFA and Albuterol and Ipatroprium for a jet neb tx and a peds mask that came with the nebulizer, and MONTELUKAST SODIUM / Singular & Levocetirizine (H1 Blocker). Any thoughts?
Thank you!
Heather, RN
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Current assessment: (No idea if this is veterinary appropriate... just what I would do for very young pediatric (human) PT in the ER.)
Resp even & non lab, meowing to play and staring me down for food. No hoarseness noted in meow, NAD noted and no itching or scratching noted. Behavior WNL and appropriate for situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically... I've probably just reacted like the mom who brings her kid to the ER in the middle of the night for coughing once.... UGH.. LMAO! Although he just scratched his neck once and is now eating at his dry limited ingredient food bowl... so I'm assuming that your answer will be FU with the Vet in the AM, observe for additional coughing or change in behavior, and if needed take to the local Vet ED asap this evening if s/s worsen or return. Correct?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. Please let me know if you still need help or you've already brought King Henry in to see his vet. I would probably simply "watchful wait" at this time. There are two camps when it comes to asthma in cats. One camp believes that these cats should be treated indefinitely in order to avoid recrudescence. The other believes that treating when necessary suffices. I belong to the second camp in the great majority of cases.

Antihistamines aren't first-choice drugs in asthmatic cats. Glucocorticoids and bronchodilators are prescribed and dosed orally or by inhalor.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?