Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Dear Dr. Drew, My cat, Tigger-3 just tugged a thin piece of

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Drew,
My cat, Tigger-3 just tugged a thin piece of my artificial Christmas tree out and before I could grab it, he swallowed it. It was about two and one-half inches long, very thin and stiff. It was supposed to mimic a pine needle. I fear that this will either pierce the lining of his espohagus, stomach or intestine, or become entangled in the GI tract. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you, Eve
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this, Eve. In this foreign body ingestion case, you mustn't induce emesis or attempt to push the artificial pine needle through Tigger-3's gastrointestinal tract with a bulk laxative or pro-motility drug. The risk if you did so is as you mentioned - perforation of his GI tract. Instead, the proper manner in which to retrieve the needle is to scope him and snare the needle through the scope. This needs to be done before the needle enters the small intestine and so you'll need to find a veterinary ER who can do this at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Eve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?