Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What do i do cat's constipation? 2nd time in a week

Customer Question

what do i do for my cat's constipation? 2nd time in a week
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

At this age, this may become a recurrent problem. So, if truly constipated, you absolutely do not want to risk doing anything over the counter at 18 years of age. The risk to make her quite ill is very hgih.

So, she needs to get to a vet to evaluate the severity of impaction and whether an enema would be the fastest and easiest treatment.

Once relieved, you will want to talk to the vet about starting a medication like lactulose.

Lactulose is widely used to help keep the stools soft to prevent constipation and is simply titrated to the lowest amount necessary to keep poops soft and moving.

Also, they will want to assess her hydration. At this age, she may be getting clinically dehydrated due to a problem like kidney disease, which could be predisposing to these constipation episodes.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harlan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?