Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We're moving out of the country and our neighbor will keep

Customer Question
our cat. what is...
we're moving out of the country and our neighbor will keep our cat. what is the most effective way to transition
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr Marta and I will help you.

Is your cat indoors or outdoors?

Getting you cat used to a carrier by feeding her in it and putting cat nip in it (if she likes it) is a good start. Make that carrier non threatening.

Then occasionally you can take the carrier to you neighbor's (without her) so she can get used to the smells of their house.

Have your neighbor come over frequently.

If she is an indoor cat this can go smoothly. Be sure to move her litter box, toys and bedding to neighbor's house.

Now, if she outdoors, or if your neighbor has cats it becomes more challenging. Let me know.

It's an in/out cat with a little door. The neighbor has a little door as well.
The neighbor doesn't have cats
Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Thanks for the additional information - that's very helpful. Dr. Marta Lepes made some really good suggestions so far.

My suggestion for your neighbor would be to keep your kitty inside for at least a few weeks before letting him back outside. If he's still in the same neighborhood, he may try to go back to your home even after you've left. If you can block off or remove the cat door from your home, that would help keep him from stumbling back into your old home after you've left too. In terms of the other details, there's really not a whole lot more to do other than to take as much of his own things with him to his new home as possible. When I introduce a new cat into a home I also usually recommend that the kitty stay in one room for a few days to start with so that the kitty and new owners can become more acquainted. He may hide for awhile after arriving (although not all cats do) - this would be normal. Products like Feliway and Comfort Zone can also be helpful to calm an anxious kitty. These are pheromone products that you can purchase online or at the pet store that come in multiple different formulations (diffusers, sprays, wipes, collars). It's good that your neighbor doesn't have any other cats - that'll make it a bit easier for your kitty to transition.

I hope that this helps - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian