Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our elderly cat had one eye removed after herpex simplex

Customer Question

Our elderly cat had one eye removed after herpex simplex virus. He sometimes gets a bit or irritation on the other eye, but treatment was successful. He now has an inflammed eye with no sign of ulceration probably due to herpes simplex virus. He has been prescribed chloramphenicol eyedrops designed for adults, which is to be used in waking hours only. My cat sleeps most of the time? It's for acute conunctivitis in adults and children over 2. Is that ok for a cats then? 0.5% w/v. Why are adult eyedrops used do they not have eyedrops designed for cats specifically? Other ingredients include water, boric acid, borax and phenylmercuric nitrate? Just curious as to why they use adult eyedrops that are desgined to be used in waking hours only when cats sleep alot?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, in regards ***** ***** using a cat specific preparation, this is actually due to the drug companies then your vet. Since it takes a great deal of money to license drugs for each specific species, a lot of drug companies won't bother to do this for what they consider "non-lucrative" species. Therefore, it is quite common to use medications off license with cats (sometimes licensed for people or dogs) when we know they are safe to use (as is here) but not licensed for them. So, this is just due to politics in the pharmaceutical world.

That aside, this is again fine to use with Pugsy. In regards ***** ***** use when in waking hours, I suspect that they have advised such just in case he were to have an adverse reaction. In rare cases, we can see this drug cause anemia (low red blood cell levels) which can cause lethargy, increased breathing rates, weakness, and collapse. And it would be easier to catch these signs when you are awake but also when he is likely to be most active. So, we'd just want to make sure to keep a close eye on him generally when using this antibiotic.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Suzanne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pugsy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.