Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I rescue a very sick feral Christmas day. Took her to the

Customer Question
Good morning. I rescue a...
Good morning. I rescue a very sick feral Christmas day. Took her to the vet. She has scabies , intestinal parasites, skin parasites , ear infection, hookworm, tapeworm and ear infection. She was treated with a long running antibiotic shot. She's not agrees and has been very lathargic but eating and drinking and going in the litter box. Her eyes are starting to open ..they were shut when I found her and shut due to the infection.her wbc count was they the roof.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did her vet treat her with anything else but an antibiotic?

Did they put on any spot on treatments or give anything specifically for the scabies?

Just a shot for the parasites and
A shot of Convenia
I am not sure if I should be brushing her bit she loves it so much and is the only physical contact she gets thru the kennel as she is contagious. I feel like there is more to do for her then being done
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you,

Now it will depend which treatment they used, but I must note that we do often need to repeat that in 10-14 days time to ensure we kill of the next generation of mites (since the drugs do tend to target the adults and not the eggs). With that in mind and since both "scabies" mite species can bite you too, we'd not want to be brushing or handling her without gloves for at least the next 10 days and ideally the next 10 days after the 2nd treatment. That said, since you are so keen to do so you can choose to handle her but remember gloves and strict hygiene when you do so.

Otherwise, since it sounds like she may also have cat flu, I do want to not some supportive care measure s you can use. For those eyes, either to antibiotic drops if they are snotty, you can flush her eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This will help remove discharges and soothe those eyes.

Just in case she also has sneezing or congestion with this, I would note that you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don't like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents' with the kitty in their carrier and the nebulizer under a thin bed sheet.

Finally, since feline herpes virus may be a cause for her eye signs, then we sometimes find the L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at your vets or even some health food stores (and GNC type stores). They tend to come as huge tablets, so I advise crushing them and mixing it with food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, there is a risk of spread or bites to yourself if you handle her at this stage. That said, if she is isolated in a kennel, you can wear gloves and carefully handle her. Otherwise, the above can be added to your care to ease her sore eyes and help if she has any other flu signs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank u. I will get the saline salution. Yes u have been using surgicalike gloves all the time and changing all the time. I throw out her cat bed every 2 days and replace bed and new litter box. I wash clothes and shower after every encounter. She tested negative for feline leukemia and Flv? Getting a rabies shot Monday if better and another shot for the mites then too..I also only use the brush 2x and then throw out and use a new one..I have 2 cats now so she is in the garage and today not so lathargic. Thanks!

You are very welcome,

That all sounds very good. Hopefully now that she is in your care we will see this all settle for her. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian