Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have an 11 year old orange tiger cat; Jasper. We love m

Customer Question
We have an 11 year...
We have an 11 year old orange tiger cat; Jasper. We love him dearly. He's an "indoor/outdoor" cat and spends a lot of time outside as well as inside. Lately (we live in North Carolina) he's got an awfully lot of fleas. They are now in the house. We give him Revolution on a monthly basis and lately, we've had him to the vet for extra care. Since he's going to continue his indoor/outdoor life, how can we cope with this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/27/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jasper and his fleas. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does the Revolution seem to keep fleas off of him? If not, you might try Frontline or Advantage every month. In addition to using one of these, you can apply Buck Mountain Parasite Dust to his coat.

Have you treated the house at all? I would use a product that contains an IGR (insect growth regulator) to prevent new fleas from hatching in the house.

If there is a place he spends time or likes to sleep outdoors, that should be treated with the IGR as well.

A Seresto collar is a new flea product. It is costly, but lasts 8 months and has gotten a lot of good reviews.

Let me know what other questions I can answer about him.

I hope you are able to see my answer. Let me know if you have any more questions, and if you found this to be helpful.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian