Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We just adopted another Ragdoll Kitten. We got m from the

Customer Question

Hi, We just adopted another Ragdoll Kitten. We got him from the breeder on Christmas eve. He had been neutered the day before, and they also lasered off a mole on the left and right side of his mouth and one inside his mouth. I've been giving him the antibiotics twice a day since. He seems to be feeling okay, but his eyes are really weepy. They have a clear drainage always coming out of them. The one photo shows it (that picture makes it look like his eyes are swollen, but really they are okay looking and open). What do you think could be causing his eyes to be weeping this clear liquid? It's thicker than tears. Thank you again for your help :-) We really appreciate it!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I have to say that Murphy looks very impressed there. ;)

Has Leo been sneezing with this?

Any nasal discharge?

If you look at the eyeball itself, does it look cloudy, hazy, or can you see any non-shiny scratched areas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your reply! Leo hasn't sneezed at all, and doesn't have nasal discharge. His eyes don't look cloudy per se, more like a clear film, somewhat thick, that drips down like tears. He seems overall happy and runs around a lot, and his eyes are open and not swollen or wincing like he's in pain. His treatment of antibiotics is over as of today. If it was anything like pink eye, wouldn't the antibiotics have killed it? Do you have any ideas of what else it could be? Thanks again :-)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I do apologize that we seem to be playing holiday time zone tag.

Anyway, based on his photos, I'd be a wee bit concerned that Leo has a brewing upper respiratory tract infection causing a conjunctivitis. These are very common in breeding catteries because of the higher density of cats living in a shared airspace. And often the stress of life change (leaving mum, new home, new people/pets, neutering, etc) can trigger a flare up. The other concern of course would be whether he has had a wee trauma to the eye (ie scratch) but if we aren' t seeing those changes to the eyeball, then that is less likely.

Now it does depend on what antibiotics were used and who our culprit is. This is because for our common conjunctivitis or pink eye bacteria, they do usually respond to broad spectrum treatment. That said, if we have the bacteria Chlamydia present, they do tend to need 4-6 weeks of antibiotics to clear that sneaky bacteria. As well, we can see these issues caused by viruses (calicivirus, herpes) that can take 1-2 weeks to just settle. And those last 2 would notoriously take advantage of Leo's immune system in a time like this.

With all this in mind, it is good that the discharge is clear. If it had been snotty, then we'd be worried that the antibiotics weren't effective against any bacteria present. Though we do need to monitor for any relapses. Otherwise, since feline herpes is a common agent that can cause these signs, we can consider trying Leo with L-lysine (a nutritional supplement). This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, health food stores, and online. It comes as a gel, powder, or crushable table to all be mixed with food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day. As well, we can also flush those eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) to just help get any irritants/bacteria away,remove the discharge, and keep those eyes comfortable.

Overall, I would be most suspicious that we do have a cat flu agent causing these signs. Since the discharge is clear, the viruses are our main suspects. So, we want to flush those eyes +/- try the L-lysine and keep a close eye on him. If he has any relapses or doesn't totally settle, then we may need to have your vet swab the eyes to diagnose what is lurking and ensure we clear it for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. B,
Thank you for your reply letter! I have some L-Lysine from when Murphy once had an upper respiratory infection (after being neutered, so very similar circumstances). I wasn't sure I could give it to Leo since he is so young, but now that I know I can, I am going to. He's been on Clavamox as an antibiotic, but if he doesn't get better soon I will take him to the vet. He seems to be a bit better today, so we will see how things progress. I should have thought that he might have an upper respiratory infection, but I kept thinking the Clavamox would make it impossible. But now I understand that he may need a different, perhaps stronger, antibiotic. Between the breeders house (with all those cats/kittens) and the vet, I'm guessing this is what he has. Thanks again for all your help! We really appreciate it :-) Sincerely, Amy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Amy,

That's great that you have it on hand and as it is just an amino acid (precursor to protein), it is safe to use in kittens. So, no worries there. Otherwise, that sounds like a perfect plan of action.

Best wishes to you all,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )