Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I noticed he was not eating and facing the wall of the cage,

Customer Question
so when I turned him...
I noticed he was not eating and facing the wall of the cage, so when I turned him around his nose, eyes,mouth were cover with crusted goop. I know it is a Upper Respiratory Infection, but my question is if we rehydrate him, and get him on meds will he have a chance of being ok. Although he is 15lbs you can feel his back bone, so it is all drooping to the floor. He cannot even stand. Shouldn't he be with a foster who can monitor his weight, food intake, medication, and help him socialize again. It is very sad , he is so depressed.
I am hoping he has not developed Hepatic Lipidosis.
How can we help him once he has been medicated , had IV fluids, and syringe fed???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. It is really impossible to comment on his prognosis for recovery without knowing more about his current state of health and if there may be more than a simple URI occurring. Hepatic lipidosis has to be a concern, especially if he was/is overweight and his calorie intake has been compromised for long enough. Also if he is retrovirus positive, that would certainly have a negative effect on his improvement.

You are also correct that if he is weak enough that he can't stand, he should be closely monitored or even better yet hospitalized. If he does have the beginnings of hepatic lipidosis, aggressive nutritional support is needed and adequate calories cannot usually be provided by syringe feeding alone. The best way to help this guy would be to have bloodwrik run to evaluate his organ function and retrovirus status as well as getting him on fluid and nutritional support.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian