Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our kitty doesn't want to use her litter box unless we take

Customer Question

Our kitty doesn't want to use her litter box unless we take her out and put her in it and if we don't do it it time she will pee on us before we can get her in it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having this problem with Precious. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has she always done this, or did she just start avoiding the litter box?

When a cat stops using a litter box, the first thing to do is to be sure it is not due to a physical problem like a bladder infection. This might be easy to fix with a course of antibiotics if she does.

If you have her checked out and no physical problems are found, then these are the things I try:

Have more than one litter box. Some cats do not like to defecate and urinated in the same place.

Get Cat Attract litter, or add Cat Attract (an herbal product) to the litter. I have had many cats start using the litter box when the Cat Attract is tried.

Add catnip to the litter.

Spray Feliway, or get a Feliway plug in unit to use near places she is urinating. It emits a pheromone only cats can smell that has a calming effect.

Since she has urgency with urination, and urinates on you when you pick her up, I suspect this may not be a behavior problem. If she were my own cat, the first thing I would do is a urinalysis, to check for infection or other problems.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Let me know how she is doing, and if this was helpful. Can I answer anything else?