Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Can allergies cause ear infection in cats? That's what

Customer Question
my vet told me...
Can allergies cause ear infection in cats? That's what my vet told me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Cat has almost all the time black buildup in ears and treated before with antibiotic but still keep coming back
12/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Yes, cats with allergies to food ingredients or environmental allergens can be more prone to ear infections. In these situations, the ear will be treated and cleared up, but as soon as the ear treatment is done, if the allergy itself is not addressed, the infection will likely recur. When present chronically, the bacteria or yeast infections can cause changes to occur in the ear canals that make it harder to clear the problem up.

problem up.

The key to getting these to stop recurring is to figure out if they recur because they are not treated completely or if it clears up and the allergy flares it up again. The first step is to insure that the right medication is used. A test called an ear cytology can be done to examine the debris look for secondary invaders like bacteria or yeast. Then your vet can determine the appropriate choice for what may be residing there. After treating the ears, it is ESSENTIAL that they are rechecked. A otoscopic exam of the entire ear canal to visualize normal canals and eardrum must be done to document that the ear infection has resolved. If this is not done and the signs recur, it may be that the ear was never treated completely to normal.

If the treated ear returns to normal and then there is a recurrence of the signs, then you know that there must be an underlying cause such as the allergies mentioned above. Your veterinarian can then work with you to determine what your pet may be allergic to and institute steps to control his response to the allergies.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Great. So I will follow up with the vet. They did before an ear test for bacteria, mites, fungi and came back positive for cocci and fungus. And was given a cream but I must admit I did not put it on for a full course
Now I am going on a trip but after I come back I will go back to the vet

Yes, follow up is critical as we need to determine if it is resolving and coming back or not resolving due to improper treatment (not long enough, not the right med, etc). Good luck.

I just put some epi otic and I cleaned the ear . Looks like it is only on one ear. Do they have a one time dose at the vet that I can get now before I go or all the treatment takes days
He has that for a long time but it doesn't seem to have bothered him
that is why I always considered I do not have to go back because it is due to the allergy

There are some newer ear meds that are used once a week, but I don't know if your vet has those.

Even if it is due to allergy, it still needs to be treated as chronic ear infections can lead to anatomic changes (the cartilage becomes calcified) and then you have an ear which will never heal.

Do you think I should worry about it now for the next 2 weeks that I will be gone? I know I should have done this a long time ago but I was dealing with their tritrichomonas treatment and now that is done so now this is my next step
He acts fine

If he doesn't act painful, he will probably be OK, but I really can't say without knowing the state of his ear canal. If you wanted to be sure, it would be best to at least have him examined before your trip if possible, even if he would not be able to be treated while you were gone. I am sorry, I am sure that is not what you wanted to hear.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian