Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is dripping pinkish fluid & licks. It often. What

Customer Question

My cat is dripping pinkish fluid & licks. It often. What could be wrong? She doesn't actually sick.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where is she dripping the fluid from? Her mouth, a wound, or her vagina?

Any appetite loss, or changes in her thirst?

Any sores, redness, or changes in her mouth?

Has she been having any straining to pass urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vagina.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't act sick. Peeing & pooping good. Eats. Goid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems she drinking a.little.more than usual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sores in mouth. Doesn't seem to strain when peeing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am in the midst of typing my reply to you. I will post that shortly (just so you know I didn't pop away).

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on your description of the urine and her increased vaginal grooming, this is highly suggestive of a urinary tract infection (UTI). Other issues that could also appear this way include issues like bladder stones, urine crystals, and bladder tumors. Furthermore, as Tiger is older and you noted that she is still urinating well, I do have to warn you that we could be seeing a UTI secondary to an underlying health issue (ie diabetes, kidney disease, liver issues, etc). This is because those will dilute the urine such that we don't tend to see straining and frequent urination as we do with younger cats with cystitis.

To give some relief at the moment, you can try to get her to drink more if possible (which can be hard to get a cat to do). You can also offer her low-salt chicken broth to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. Along with this, I usually advise upping their wet food portion of her diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system.

While urine dilution will help flush out bacteria and hopefully get her a wee bit of relief, it is unlikely that this alone will clear the more severe bladder infections. Therefore, I would advise that it is prudent for her to see her vet. This would not be considered an emergency situation but is urgent because this will be very uncomfortable for her. If you can, since we have those other concerns, do try to collect a urine sample (you can usually do so by keeping her in a carpet-less room with an empty litter box). When you see her vet, they will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes).

Overall, her signs are very suspicious of a bladder infection. Therefore, I would advise trying to increase her hydration at the moment but keep in mind that if this is a bacterial cystitis then a broad spectrum antibiotic and feline friendly pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection would be warranted to clear this for her.

All the best and happy holidays,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)