Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat sneezes but now I just found a little grey worm after

Customer Question
My cat sneezes green snot...
My cat sneezes green snot but now I just found a little grey worm after he sneezed he was treated with antibiotics a few months ago for this sneezing now it's back with worms which are new
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is it just one worm you found when Ledger sneezed? What did the worm look like was it short and fat with small spikes on it? Is Ledger an outdoor cat or does he mostly remain indoors?

Ledger does not go outside, but was adopted from a shelter. He came with snotty sneezes and sometimes blood sneezed out. My vet gave him antibiotic and it cleared up. It is now back same thing the worm is new. The worm was small white gray in color,had little legs or spikes where legs would be. Small

Okay thanks for the additional information. How long have you had Ledger for? Did the worm seem alive when he sneezed it out? There is a worm or actually a fly larvae that cats can get called cuterbra. It is caused by a fly laying a egg and the egg hatches a larvae which sometimes can crawl up a nostril of a cat. The spikes on the body of the larvae irritate the nasal passage which can cause chronic sneezing. I will try to attach a picture to see if what you saw was the same thing

I've had ledger since September 2015 he is about 1.5 years old. The worm was curled up didn't seem to be moving, but looked fresh. Other mucous that comes out is green/brown I'm checking the picture now
No too brown this worm was greyBlack white shaped like a C with black legs or spikes

It can come in different shades of brown or gray, but was it the same shape or form?

Seems like this worm was flatter then the picture C shaped
but slightly darker with black feet/spikes

Okay they can in different shades and sizes. But if it is a cuterebra then you should see the sneezing signs slowly resolve over time. He may still need antibiotics at this round but the signs shouldn't recur if that was the primary cause. So hopefully since he sneezed it out then you shouldn't worry about any further problems. Is he showing any other signs.

He is very congested, should if go get more antibiotics? He eats good and plays and runs but running nose and sneezing green and now the worm
Is this contagious to my 6 math old kitten

If he is congested then I would definitely recommend getting more antibiotics. You should try to save the worm if you haven't gotten rid of it already to show your veterinarian. Not sure if it is contagious to your 6 month old, but as a precaution I would treat it as such and try to keep them separated as much as possible . Also monitor your kitten very closely for any upper respiratory signs such as sneezing, coughing or runny nose because he may need antibiotics as well if these signs are seen.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian