Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 10 year old male cat. He hasn't been eating or

Customer Question
drinking for 3 days now...
I have a 10 year old male cat. He hasn't been eating or drinking for 3 days now. Any time I get him to drink some water he pukes it up. It had a greenish tinge to it. He was sneezing last week so I thought hey have a cold and that's why he wasn't eating. What could be wrong? Is there anything I can do from home??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. The possibilities of what could be wrong is a very long list, as lack of appetite and vomiting are both very serious but non-specific signs of disease. This could be kidney disease, liver disease, infectious disease, oral cavity disease, GI cancer, severe inflammatory bowel disease or many other possibilities. Since it has been three days since has eaten or drank this is a medical emergence. Regardless or the initial cause simple dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can kill him if he does not receive attention very soon. I would recommend that you take him to the ER tonight but if you cannot please get him in tomorrow as soon as possible. There is not going to be any type of home remedy for a cat that cannot even keep water down. He needs to have a CBC, chem panel electrolytes, urine, felv,fiv testing. He should also receive xrays and be started on fluids and medicine to stop his vomiting until your vet can figure out what is wrong. Cats that don't eat for 36 hours or more are also at serious risk for fatty liver.So get your kitty in as soon as you possibly can and please let me know if you have any additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

I will be back online tomorrow night in case you need additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian