Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has been meowing a lot today. she does not seem to be

Customer Question

my cat has been meowing a lot today . she does not seem to be in any pain and is eating like normal except for her dry food.she is about 10 years old. not spayed. she is having a milky substance come from her vagina, and some diarrhea since this morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is your cat spayed? Any blood noted in the diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no she is not spayed.no blood in the diarrhea either.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Do you remember the last time she was in heat? Since she is an older cat and has milky discharge from her vagina one thing I would be worried about is a condition called pyometra. Pyometra is an infection of the uterus that can occur with older cats that are not spayed. The infection causes the uterus to fill up with pus like material and can be potentially an emergency. It is typically diagnosed by xrays or ultrasound. The other cause for discharge could be a very serious infection which can be diagnosed with a urine sample.