Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitty, Beans, is always very vocal and loves to hang out

Customer Question
but, she has always had...
My kitty, Beans, is always very vocal and loves to hang out but, she has always had a point where she goes off and does her own thing. Shes a polydactal, and for the past 2 days, she hasn't really left my or my husbands side and there's a lump or knot under her muscle on her right hind leg, near her rear flank. She's not bringing any attention to it, by licking it. But. She's worming around a lot and staying on her side and back. And. She had a limp in her walk. Shes, not lethargic or her eyes aren't dilated, and I just don't know what to do. Please help! Star Lanter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I did change her food the last time I bought it, and was wondering if she could be constipated. Also, I have 0.2 ml of metacam left over from when she was spayed, may I use that. Because, it's very obvious that she is in discomfort. I don't have the money for a visit to the vets.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/18/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does she have outdoor access?

How long has the knot been present? Does it seem tender if you press on it? Is it getting any larger?

In regards ***** ***** limp, has that settled?

she is a indoor/outdoor kitty. I just realized last night that the knot was there, when I examined her. She meows very loud and wiggles around when I touch her hind leg. Yes the limp is still very present. When she lays down she stays down for a while.

Thank you,

Now considering Bean's age, outdoor access, and this uncomfortable lump (since her reaction to palpation, limping, and licking give her away as this being more of a bother then she is letting on); our main concern here would be a brewing abscess. These are very common in cats with outdoor access and often are related to altercations with other cats. Though they can catch their skin too on a range of items they are in contact with when outside. Often if they have only had a slight injury, it can be days before we see the lump (sometimes the skin has even healed before the abscess appears).

Just to note, her behaviors at home are also giving her away as being uncomfortable with this, since staying indoors and clinging to one's owner are signs that we often see when prey species are feeling vulnerable. Therefeore, she is telling us with her actions that she doesn't feel well enough with this to face the world and is relying on her humans to protect her.

Now in regards ***** ***** to approach these situations, it'd be ideal to have her to her vet. They can confirm that this is an abscess and start her on antibiotics +/- cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam). If we are proactive and treat while it is small, that is usually all we need to settle it. Though if the abscess were allowed to get bigger, she may also need it opened/flushed under sedation.

Overall, Beans 's signs are highly suggestive of an abscess in this leg. It will be quite uncomfortable which is why she is showing the signs she is. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to nip this in the bud and get her back to being active and feeling secure.

All the best for Beans,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian