Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is coughing up large hair. What should I do?

Customer Question

My cat is coughing up large hair balls. What should I do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Jeff. I am happy to help you today and if any clarification is needed, feel free to respond. Hair balls are a common issue with cats. In most cases, cats will respond to one of the various hairball remedies that are out there. I prefer Laxatone, but products such as petromalt work pretty well too. I some tougher cases, you need to make sure that he is not excessively grooming. This can be evident based on areas of bald fur (often symmetrical hair loss) which are commonly found on the belly or limbs. Its not always consistent, but this can increase large hairball frequency. The excessive grooming can be a sign of stress or anxiety. What stresses a cat is not always evident (we tend to humanize them too much) may be related to changes in the household dynamic, wildlife outside, neighbors pets, etc. Stress and anxiety can also carry signs of improper urinations, changes in appetite, hiding, etc. There are various ways to manage stress too which include pheromone products, pharmaceuticals, changing the home dynamic, etc. So, I would start with a hairball remedy and keep an eye on his fur especially in his belly and groin region. If changes are noted, a vet visit may be necessary. Keep in mind, some cats just produce a lot of hairballs and reducing the frequency may be all you can do provided he is otherwise healthy. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
thanks

Dr. Jeff