Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a moist cough off and leaking in her eye would it

Customer Question
be okay to give her...
my cat has a moist cough off and leaking in her eye would it be okay to give her zarbee's naturals cough and cold medicine I cannot afford a vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

How old is she?

What color is that eye discharge?

Any breathing changes? Are those gums nice and pink?

Does she sound stuffed up or congested?

she sounds congested when she's coughing the discharge from her eye is on light light green her gums are pink
she has a moist cough green discharge from her eye and when she stands she teeters a little bit
I know she has some kind of congestal problem going on can i gave my cat zarbee's naturals

Hi again,

I am typing a full reply to you just now and will post shortly.

Dr. B.

Are you their

Thank you for being patient (As you can see I had quite a bit to type),

First, if we have green discharge, you will need to tread with care. That is a sign of bacterial infection and often is an indication for antibiotics.

Now I have checked the ingredients with the Zarbee's and would advise avoiding it. They are not very forthcoming with the zinc levels, so we would be better off using an alternative cat safe syrup. In regards ***** ***** you can use non-medicated glycerin/honey cough syrup or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. And that is just a better option here.

Otherwise, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we onlywant to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similarsyrups with dog toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine,Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/4 (quarter) teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce her coughing.

Further to that, if she is congested, then there is more you can do at home. To start, if she is congested, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can make a ‘steam tent’ with her in their carrier, the nebulizer, and a bed sheet.

As well, if we have ocular discharge, then we do need to be flushing that out for her. To do so, you can use saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution). This can be used 1-2 times daily to just get the discharge and bacteria present away. As well, you can use 1-2 drops of saline in each nostril to loosen any discharge there.

As well, if you suspect that she might have feline herpes virus (if she is a stray, rescue or was in a breeding cattery as a kitten), then this can be a cause of the signs you are seeing. In herpes cats, we find the L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. They come as gels, powders, and as crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Finally, since you noted financial difficulties, I do want to note some options that may be of benefit here. First, I would note that both VCA + Banfield offer a free 1st consult for new patients. You could use this to have her seen. You can find their vouchers @ VCA( Voucher: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or Banfield (Voucher:http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon?). As well, the Humane Society (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) and ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) both have good databases of charities that could help you get her seen for antibitotics to clear this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

if I give her robitussin on that help with the bacterial infection
I like it will clear everything up

Hi again,

If we have gren discharge, we have bacterial infection. Only antibiotics wil help with that. Robitussin (only the DM!!) wil just soothe the cough. So, if you want to clear it al up, use those last few links to get her seen so that a local vet can provide those antibiotics.

Dr. B.

don't have money for but is there any home remedies or over-the-counter medicine I can give her

Hi again,

Antibiotics are prescription only and can only be legally dispensed by a vet that has examined her in person. Those links I gave you will help with the costs. The first 2 wil get her seen for free and you need only pay for her medication. The others wil subsidize care further. So, you can get that for her. Otherwise, all those OTC treatments I outlined above already for you would need to be started here.

Dr. B.

ok where did you send those links because I don't see them on here

VCA( Voucher: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer)

Banfield (Voucher:http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon?).

Humane Society (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)

ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills)

Take care,

Dr. B.

* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian