petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My approximately 6 week old kitten won't eat. She drinks

Customer Question

My approximately 6 week old kitten won't eat. She drinks water and is playful, but won't touch food or bottle
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Zoe today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has she been refusing food?

How did you acquire her? Did you adopt her?

Has she been examined by a vet yet? Dewormed?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been refusing food for a day and a half. She has not been seen by a vet yet. I found her on the driveway. Dogs killed the mother and rest of litter. I have not deformed her.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

When a kitten of this age is not eating for 1.5 days, it is a big concern as they can get dehydrated (even if they are drinking) and hypoglycemic very easily.

It is very common for kittens to have intestinal parasites and if she wasn't yet dewormed, it may be causing GI upset for her. There are other things to be worried about a possible causes including viruses, like feline leukemia, feline aids and feline infectious peritonitis or even congenital conditions.

What I would do tonight is to to keep her blood glucose normal by offering diluted pancake syrup or honey by eyedropper every few hours. You could try to entice her with human food like boiled chicken or hamburger. If she is not starting to eat on her own by tomorrow however (or sooner if she starts to act lethargic) I would seek veterinary assistance for a physical exam.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z