Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat vomited blood tonight but has been acting completely

Customer Question
normal otherwise. He has been...
My cat vomited blood tonight but has been acting completely normal otherwise. He has been on thyroid meds and prednisone for the last couple weeks and I just recently took him off the prednisolone 3 days ago. He takes the thyroid meds every other day. I don't understand what is going on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please don't call. It's too late at night.
12/15/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Is he still eating and drinking? Keeping those down?

Why was he on the Prednisone?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing changes or black stools?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. Thank you for answering. He threw up what looks like bile mixed with blood. It is pink but not bright red and the whole thing is about a teaspoon. He is still eating and drinking and has not thrown up since. He was on Prednisolone because he had been vomiting a several times a week and sometimes a couple times a day a few weeks ago. I changed his food to a wet cat food and the doctor thought his thyroid levels were a little high so she put him on thyroid meds. His gums are paler than mine but not white. He seems to be breathing at a rate of 37 breaths per minute and his stools seem to be ok. For about a week the doctor had me put him on Miralax because he was constipated but he seems to be doing better now.

Thank you,

Now we do want to keep an eye on that gum color, just to make sure its normal for him. It isn't likely playing a role just now for Ender but it could be a wee bit pale due to anemia (low red blood cell levels). That can be secondary to the thyroid issue or that ongoing chronic intermittent vomiting he has had (as we see anemia of chronic disease). In regards ***** ***** since he did just have bloods done, you can have a word with his vet to see if that did come up on those bloods.

Otherwise, I am glad to hear that it was pink and just a teaspoon worth. In that case, we'd not be panicked here about sinister internal bleeding or anything like that. Instead, the pink is likely a bit of blood from the capillaries in the throat being irritated when he vomited. As I am sure you can appreciate, the force with which cats vomit and the stomach acid's effects on those tissues. Usually this is self-limiting, so if the vomiting stops that will too.

So, in this situation, his sudden signs are not a major worry. Especially if he is acting normal and not vomited any further. That said, if he has had chronic vomiting for a while, then we do need to tread with care. Now it is quite possible that this is all related to the thyroid issues since we can see vomiting as a side effect of this disease. So, we will want to keep an eye that this is all settling as his thyroid stabilizes with treatment.

Otherwise, if this continues, we'd need to consider having his vet check for other differentials for his signs. Since the bloods were normal otherwise, systemic or organ based issues would be less likely. And that usually means we need to look closer at the gut itself. To do so, we usually will use ultrasound, xray, or endoscopy (where a scope with a camera is used to examine the gut from the inside). Which, of course, depends on Ender's vet's clinical suspicions on his condition after having examined him. But for the moment that is all jumping the gun (though I did want to mention them), since our first step here is to stabilize that thyroid to see if this all settles for him.

Finally just in regards ***** ***** nausea for kitties, if he has any more vomiting in the short term, do consider speaking to his vet about symptomatic care. We can use antacids (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)) or gastroprotectants to counter nausea and reduce vomiting. So, if we had more of this, those would be options to try to soothe his stomach as you stabilize the thyroid.

Overall, it sounds like he gave you a wee scare but this isn't a major worry if it has been just the once and he is well otherwise. So, in this situation, we'd just want to monitor Ender, stabilize his thyroid, +/- use symptomatic care to soothe that stomach. And if he settles with that, we are happy. THough if the signs do not, then we may need to get a closer look at that gastrointestinal tract to ensure there isn't anything being missed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian