Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a quest about my orange tabby who vomits a lot and

Customer Question

i have a quest about my orange tabby who vomits a lot and lost 1 lb. he's 8 y/o
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Maui is having chronic vomiting.

How can I help you this evening?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am getting ready to log off for the night, so I am going to opt out so another expert can help you.

Good luck to you and your kitty,

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Vomiting 8 year olds are most often diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). This is often a diagnosis of exclusion but can be confirmed by scoping and biopsy of the GI tract after a thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests reveal nothing untoward but an ultrasound of Maui's intestinal tract shows the tell-tale signs of intestinal inflammation. Chronic pancreatitis, hepatitis, chronic renal insufficiency, and gastrointestinal neoplasia (cancer) are the primary differential diagnoses for such cats.

Presumptive therapy for IBD includes a corticosteroid such as prednisolone +/- metronidazole. Pepcid is reasonable ancillary therapy in a vomiting patient. I avoid amoxicillin as it can cause GI distress. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't want to do a scope, she wants to open him up

Biopsies of more than the gastrointestinal tract can be taken when the abdomen is explored and full-thickness biopsies of the GI tract can be taken when my patient is explored as opposed to scoped. It allows the clinician to directly visualize all of the abdominal organs which is more important when previous diagnostics - blood and urine tests, ultrasound, e.g. - reveals changes in those organs. The downside, of course, is that Maui is opened up and recovery is protracted as compared to just a few hours of recovery when being scoped.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He gets do upset take the liquid, and getting pills down is no pleasure either. Between the amox and flagyl which would be more important to get in him. Also she gave chlopromide previously

As mentioned above, I avoid amoxicillin in the GI tract. Flagyl (metronidazole) is more important in my mind because it's a drug of choice when addressing inflammatory bowel disease. I believe that "chloromide" is actually metoclopramide - which is a weak anti-emetic in cats and another anti-emetic such as maropitant (Cerenia) or ondansetron should be considered instead. Please let me know if you still need help. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.