Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat bites me if he is displeased with what I feed m, or

Customer Question

My cat bites me if he is displeased with what I feed him, or if I don't do his bidding in general. Last night he bit me hard when I unknowingly rubbed him the wrong way. Today he bit me hard when he wanted me to stop brushing him. (Originally he liked being brushed.) I now have 4 bandaids on my hand/wrist. This is not play. He knows what he's doing, and runs away immediately after biting me to avoid any consequences and gives me an defiant look. I'm the one who takes care of all his needs. He was found on my daughter's door screaming for food and affection. She fed him liberally for the first few days because he was starving and seemed obsessed with eating and even tried to scratch open the bag of dog food they had. He didn't get along with the dog, and I wanted a cat, and he related well to me, so I took him home. He has his claws but doesn't scratch. He hasn't bothered with the Christmas tree. We were told by a neighbor that the family that first had him couldn't keep him anymore because of allergies. I'm beginning to think it's because of his biting. The neighbor was feeding him and keeping him in a shed with other cats, but I guess he ran away. I'd like to work through this, but I don't want to live in fear of a creature I'm lovingly caring for or be terrorized by my pet. He's very demanding. He's also very beautiful and is otherwise affectionate and pleasant to have around.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will try to help you.

How long have you had him?

How long ago did he start biting you? Does he bite anyone else?