Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has difficulty breathing, seems like a sinus problem,

Customer Question

my cat has difficulty breathing, seems like a sinus problem, makes snorting sounds, labours breathing or seems to want to cough up something stuck in the throat, lost appetite, right eye is weeping, is this a flu ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  William Withers replied 1 year ago.

Hi -- sorry to hear your kitty isn't feeling well. I'm Dr. Tim.

These infections can be viral or bacterial or a mixture of both. What medication did your vet prescribe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VibraVet' 100 paste for cats and dogs - doxycycline as monohydrate - dosage 0.5g taken after eating in the morning - kitty weighs 4.3 kg

Doxycycline is an excellent choice for most dogs and cats with upper respiratory bacterial infections.

If there is a viral component, often it takes longer for the kitty to get better. You also have the option of talking to your vet about starting some Lysine -- this is an amino acid which has been found to boost the immune system and has a bit of an anti-viral effect. This both helps the cat feel better faster and can help fight off the virus more strongly so it doesn't become a chronic viral situation.

In the US, it is available in a palatable powder you can mix with a cat's food once or twice a day for a period of time - I usually use it for at least two weeks, sometimes longerl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long to recover ?

Usually they start responding to the antibiotics within about 48 hours -- if there is no improvement at all within that 48 hours, I will usually switch to another antibiotic. Otherwise, once they start responding, it can take a good 7-10 days to make a complete recovery -- it can be longer if there is a viral component, which is where the Lysine can be helpful. Is the kitty eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appetite minimal, nibbles at dry food, other than a few bits not interested in wet food for a 2 days, has been drinking water as normal. I'm thinking of giving raw mince meat (fit for human consumption) is this advisable ?

You could try that but this is what usually works for me. Take some hot chicken or beef broth and mix it in with the regular food (dry or wet) and let it get soggy and more like a little stew. The extra taste of the broth makes it taste and smell better and it provides some extra hydration. I also offer just straight chicken or beef broth in addition to water to make sure they stay hydrated. This is very important with pets just as it is for us.

Cats also rely very highly on their sense of smell for their appetite, so the extra odor from the chicken or beef broth can stimulate appetite a bit as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** what quantity should I serve (its a small cat 4.3 kg)? Generally it is all gone by morning but this could be because of an interloping neighbours cat

I'd say at least 1 to 1.5 small cans of wet food or an equal amount of dry food.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kitty is sleeping in a warm shaded spot, her breathing still strained and appears to be using her mouth, is this a sign of blocked nasal passage / sinus ? Still seems lethargic. Is this 'cat flu'?
Thanks for your help. P.S. I'm making a batch of chicken broth + dry food stew, smells ok, might have some myself (lol).

She probably has some congestion in her nasal passages and maybe even in the back of her throat -- just think of how we feel with an upper respiratory infection. Its really hard to tell if it is "cat flu" (cats get several types of upper respiratory viruses) or a bacterial infection. You can put her in a closed bathroom and run the shower on hot for 4-5 minutes to give her a steam treatment several times a day - that might help relieve some of the congestion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I mixed antibiotic paste into freshly brewed stew, hopefully she eats some. Thanks again I must go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. I rated you 'good' - I have no reference point to judge otherwise, but I d appreciate the service

Thanks. Good luck with her! Take care.