Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 10-year-old black male kitty is doing well – alert and

Customer Question
pretty playful for his age...
My 10-year-old black male kitty is doing well – alert and pretty playful for his age. However I do notice that he is sleeping a little bit more than normal and he has licked most of the hair off of his left hind leg on the outside. What could be causing
this behavior?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Stewie today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is Stewie an indoor or outdoor cat? Have you noticed any fleas? How is his appetite?

Stewie is an indoor kitty - although he is allowed to sit on a second story (no trees or grass below) porch that is screened in. We have other kitties as well who do not seem itchy. He has been scratching at his neck - and he does have a history of seasonal allergies which have not been bothering him for the past few seasons. He has lost a little bit of weight and his appetite may be a little less than before (he is typically a very heavy eater but he also used to throw up after eating too quickly - not anymore). I have seen him eat wet food twice a day and he still grazes on his dry food as well. He meets his favorite human (my husband) at the door daily and is awake and chirping when visitors come. I wonder if I should try an antihistamine - which we have not used in more than a year, but used to use regularly.Thanks - Donna

Thanks for the additional information Donna. It sounds like based on the history you have provided, Stewie may be having a flare up of allergies. Cats can have seasonal allergies as well as food allergies. Any change in his food recently? What anti-histamine have you used in the past. If it worked previously I would put him back on the medication to see if it helps. As far as him sleeping more, with him being an older cat, I would recommend having blood work done just to make sure he doesn't have any medical issues going on. Older cats can be prone to kidney disease, and an overactive thyroid.

I have wondered about both thyroid and kidney disease with his age. He was on Chlorphenamine and it worked to some extent. He is due for bloodwork, but because he gets so upset, the vet puts him under to work on him, so I have extended the time between visits. He was there in late August and his bloodwork was good. There was at that time a small little bump near his anal glad - which the Dr said could be itchy. I have been watching and looking to see if he attempts to scoot or lick there - none that I can see.

Chloropheniramine works well with most cats. So I would put him back on it to see if he changes his behavior. If it is simply allergies than he can just stay on the medication.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian