Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our kitty had s front paws the nails removed on Saturday and

Customer Question

Our kitty had his front paws the nails removed on Saturday and yesterday acting like they hurt and some litter is kinda in them can they be soaked with warm water with peroxide
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Sir Pounce is having problems with his feet. I typical recommend that owners use shredded newspaper in the litter box for 5-7 days post surgery which can help to avoid the issue that he's currently having (litter stuck in between the toes).

You can soak his feet in just warm water or even a warm Epsom Salt bath (just rinse the feet after). But I'd avoid peroxide since it actually has been shown to retard healing. Instead, I'd add over the counter, dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) to the warm water.

You probably already know that cats are sensitive to many over the counter products so you wouldn't want to apply any ointment or cream to them; however, you could spray them with Vetericyn Spray which may shorten healing time. This product may be available at local pet or grain stores or can be purchased online (although it would have to be shipped overnight for it to be useful in this situation).

I hope this helps and that his feet heal quickly. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sir Pounce. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb