Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My daughters roommate get a cat at pet smart .. About a

Customer Question
month having the cat.. We...
My daughters roommate get a cat at pet smart .. About a month having the cat.. We notice the car was drooling a little it would sneeze and blood was coming out of it nose I mean it would sneeze and blood would get all over everything .. So they change the kitty litter and stop straying stuff on the carpet.. That stop and also notice blood in the kitty litter.. But it stop.. So the cat was doing fine then the last 3 weeks I notice the cats eyes weren't looking good the cat had feel in the tub and got wet and that's when the eyes started looking funny.. So on thanksgiving I took the cat so turkey she ate that after that the cat went down hill. She started not eating her stomach was huge.. But the day before she passed away she came to see me drank water peed and tried to go to the potty she went on the food and and it was yellow and looked Like mucus she went behind the couch and was there when my daughter came home .. She made appt the next when she got off work to take the cat .. So I went to check on her and she was gone.. We took to her to the vets they didn't do no test on her but they said she died from liver failer and he eyes were yellow and inside her ears .. I was just wondering how did this all happen and can we get it cause she did stratch u.. And do u think it was rabies she we get her check for that we are getting her creammaided on tues. thank u
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, in regards ***** ***** question, this doesn't sound like a case of rabies at all. Those cats do not usually have any of the signs you have reported and more often have a previous history of being bitten by wildlife. Therefore, this is not likely what caused her to pass away.

Otherwise, this is also unlikely something you could catch. This is because if we had a young cat with liver failure, this suggests possible poisoning, bacterial or viral infection of the liver, or one particular viral infection called FIP. Therefore, you can have an autopsy done to help pinpoint which of these did cause Coraline's signs, but this is not likely to be rabies and is not likely anything you can catch. Therefore, you may choose not to have that done. Though in all cases, I would suggest deep cleaning the house before allowing any new cats in. That way we can make sure there isn't any virus lurking that they too could catch.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
even we they first got her she would play and bite you and one time she drew blood so that should still be ok.. thank u

You are very welcome,

No, none of the causes we'd think about with her signs are communicable to humans. So, even if she bit you, there is little risk here for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian