Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is not up to date on s shots and was bitten by a bat.

Customer Question

My cat is not up to date on his shots and was bitten by a bat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Boo. How long ago was his last rabies shot? My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What happened to the bat?

You need to contact your veterinarian immediately. Boo should have a rabies booster as soon as possible. If the bat is not available to test for rabies, Boo will have to be quarantined for 6 months to be sure he was not infected with rabies.

Every state is different in the rules about rabies, and some areas have more rabies than others. You need to talk to a veterinarian in your area as soon as possible. This is a health risk for all the people in your home. If the bat was carrying rabies, and infected Boo, he could come down with rabies anytime in the next 6 months. Then he could bite or scratch you, and you would be exposed to rabies.

I hope he is not too overdue and that another rabies vaccination will booster him so that he does not get rabies, but there is no test to find out. You need to talk to a veterinarian in your area as soon as possible.

You won't get rabies from him, unless he develops rabies himself. That could happen anywhere from a few weeks up to 6 months after the bat bite. He needs to be quarantined away from people and pets for the 6 months. A veterinarian in your area will know the rules for your state.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your cat doing?