Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat has what i think is upper respirtory infection both

Customer Question

My cat has what i think is upper respirtory infection both eyes glazed over sneezing no appetite can't afford to see vet what can u do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I can give you some over the counter symptomatic remedies to try. I need a little more information please though.

When did he last eat? Is he drinking? Any nasal drainage? Any trouble breathing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eyes have lot of mucus and crusty appetite not very good eating small amounts and nose seems to b stuffy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is also indoor and outdoor cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to.hear from someone soon my cat suffers while i wait for advice
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, there are few things you can try.

If he is not eating, rub karo syrup, pancake syrup, or honey on his gums every few hours to help keep his blood sugar up. Try warming smelly canned food to make it more fragrant. They do not eat well if they can not smell the food. You can also try human baby food that is meat flavored and does not contain onions or garlic.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

For the sneezing you can give 1/4 of a Zyrtec antihistamine tablet once a day.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If his gums are dry he is probably dehydrated. Give low sodium broth or children's pedialyte drink with a syringe or eye dropper. A tablespoon every other hour until the gums are moist.

You can buy human nasal saline drops and put a drop in each nostril twice a day to help clear congestion.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

When you take a shower bring him in the bathroom and steam out his respiratory tract.

Keep a humidifier in the room too.

The only over the counter antibiotic eye ointment is "Terramycin." You can buy it online at places like

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

An upper respiratory tract infections usually resolve in 7-10 days.

You can also call your local SPCAs and Humane Societies and see if they have any low cost vet programs where he could get antibiotics.

Usually if you take him to the vet for an upper respiratory tract infection you will have to pay for an exam and antibiotics. If he is not eating then he may need fluid rehydration therapy as well. So you can call you local vet's office and ask how much an exam and "box of liquid clavamox" would cost.

If he starts to squiting his eyes and not open them much and there is a lot of tearing then he should see the vet right away to make sure the virus is not hurting his corneas. The treatment for that would be antibiotic eye drops or ointment.

Does this help? Do you have any additional questions? If you are all set please rate my answer. many Thanks