Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat received an injection of cerenia however her medical

Customer Question
files state she received an...
My cat received an injection of cerenia however her medical files state she received an injection of Convenia. The dosage was .03 which it did she most likely received
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
She was not naseous
How long does an enema take if you have to sedate the cat and is a blood pressure reading while a cat is sedated a valid reading and would you do a leukemia test on an indoor cat
12/2/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

How much does Tigrr weight, please? Cerenia is dosed at 0.5 mg/lb and injectable Cerenia has 10 mg/ml of maropitant in it. 0.03ml would contain 0.3 mg which wouldn't make sense. Convenia is dosed at 4 mg/lb and there's 80 mg/mL of cefovecin in the injectable Convenia. 0.03 ml would contain 2.4 mg which also doesn't make sense.

A manual enema might take 5 or 20 minutes depending upon the difficulty of removing all of the feces. I prefer a resting rather than sedated blood pressure (BP) which is more likely to return a falsely low BP. I can't remember the last time I FeLV tested an 18 year old indoor cat. There would have to be very suggestive symptoms of FeLV (nonregenerative anemia or fever of unknown origin) for me to consider that test at this time.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

The dosage was .3 cerenia but she had no signs of nausea --is it given for other things
my vet has been doing all kinds of unneeded test in my opinion== she just bought the practice as our regular vet retired--it appears she worked for BANFIELD FOR 15 YEARS PRIOR--who has a class action law suit for some of same stuff=charging almost $600 for an office visit for not feeling well--stated she needed an enema next day if she did not have a bowel movement which she didn't--but then said she couldn't give it to her after we went there and waited 2 hours because the electric had gone out 12 minutes--said find somewhere else to take her with no assistance to find somewhere else--something is not right--we had been very kind up to the point they said go elsewhere out of the blue--I still shake my head--are all these test needed for cat not feeling up to par and blood vessel in eye was red
cat lax
subcut,,,fluids
injection cerenia .3
feline leukemia///fiv
fecal test
urinalysis
abx comprehensive
abx-cbc
T4-35
SEDATE (she is feisty)after all this she states she has chronic renal disease and puts her on diet for kidneys
never took blood pressure as stated she had bad behavior but they knocked her out==why not then?"?outdated rabies shot never mentionedtook her to different vet and her blood pressure was high causing situation wiith her eye so gave her meds for that--stated no enema was needed after all that we had gone through
BUN 54
cre 2.8
2nd vet said test were not extremely high to state Chronic kid disease
she is doing much better now but I am still so confused about this situation
thoughts????
wish I could send all this paperwork for you to view but not enough time right now
thoughts on all this craziness and/ or Banfield
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Veterinarian Recommendations + Checklist for Your Vet Visit + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
if it were not so late I would have you call

Thank you for the additional information. Cerenia has been found to be an analgesic as well as an anti-emetic. Perhaps that's why it was given. Enemas can nauseate and so perhaps it was given prophylactically. I can understand blood and urine tests prior to anesthesia/sedation in an elderly cat. The FeLV/FIV test might have been waived, however. A BUN of 54 and creatinine of 2.8 suggests that less than 20% of normal functioning kidney tissue remains but to be more accurate for you I also need to see Tigrr's serum phosphorus (PHOS), hematocrit (HCT, PCV), and complete urinalysis. I also would like to know what her blood pressure was. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com.

Please note that I'm likely to be quite far away from you and can't give you local veterinarian recommendations. You might contact the local veterinary association in that regard. If you're looking for a cat specialist please see here: www.acvim.org/ I don't understand what "checklist for your vet visit" implies. Please clarify. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

THE CHECKLIST IS NOT MINE -IT BELONGS TO YOU OR THIS WEBSITE. I NO LONGER GO TO THIS VET AND AM UNDECIDED IF I AM GOING TO FILE A SMALL CLAIMS AS WELL AS A COMPLAINT TOTHE STATE. THEY DID NOT TAKE HER BLOOD PRESSURE REASON BEING HER BEHAVIOR --GUESS KNOCKING HER OUT WOULD NOT ALLOW TO GET BLOOD PRESSURE --HA
2ND VET IS MY NEW GUY --SEEMS WELL INTELLIGENT--THE FIRST VET/ 0WNER FOR 8 MONTHS AND THE VET THAT WORKED THE DAY WE WENT AS A SUB FOR THE OWNER ARE LONG TERM' BANFIELD' VETS PRIOR T0 BUYING THIS BUSINESS--SURE YOU KNOW BANFIELD REPUTATIOON AND CLASS ACTION SUITS
THE WEBSITE WANTS TO HAVE ME TALK TO YOU ON THE PHONE SO THEY CAN CHARGE MORE-THEY ARE THE PEOPLE ASKING FOR A NEW VET FOR ME-I DID NOT ASK, SORRY FOR CAPS-SEVERE CARPAL TUNNEL

Thank you. Do you have additional questions or concerns?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUTB ANFIELD--HOW LONG WILL HER KIDNEYS FUNCTION--I AMM GOING TO SEND YOU THE PAPERS WITH TEST RESULTS--ARE YOU UT WEST FOR TIME ZONE

I don't prefer Banfield's cookie cutter approach to practice. I can't know her prognosis without reviewing those test results. Please note that at her age every day's a gift. Yes, I'm in the San Diego area but don't worry about the time. I keep strange hours. I'll get back to you as soon as I can once I review the test results.

sorry didn't see he is not able to take calls refund please

Make sure that you contact***@******.*** about any charges. Posting requests in our conversation isn't enough.

Thank you for the urinalysis. The specific gravity (concentration) of the urine is 1.011 which is considered isosthenuric - Tiger's kidneys are no longer able to concentrate or dilute her urine. When this is seen along with the BUN of 54 and creatinine of 2.8, chronic renal insufficiency is diagnosed in an 18 year old cat. A prescription diet, subcutaneous fluid administration at home, and the supplement Epakitin added to her food (which can lower her BUN and make her feel better) would be my initial therapy for her. She would need her BUN and creatinine checked every couple of months to know how quickly her kidneys are deteriorating and, hence, her longevity prognosis.

the cerenia was given on thr first day not the day she was due to have the enema--vet said it just makes cats feel better--sounds like BS to me
do you need a script for cat lax--do labels need to be put on the container of cat lax with vets name directions etc
she is feisty any thoughts on giving her the sub,,, at home
she got .3 gerenia or ,3 covenia which makes sense

I can see that the Cerenia wasn't something I would have given. No, petrolatum-based hair ball remedies are over the counter products and so prescription labels aren't required. I recommend placing cats in a small box or other container where they feel safe and "snuggly" while giving the subcutaneous fluids. They're more likely to "hunker down" during the procedure when enclosed in that fashion.

How much does Tigrr weigh, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian