Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

About 2 months ago when I brought my to live with me in my

Customer Question
new apartment she took to...
About 2 months ago when I brought my to live with me in my new apartment she took to the place well. She was eating her normal dry food but I had noticed wasn't drinking her water. She'd already had issues with constipation which I speculated was what made her poop outside the litter box. When you gotta finally go you gotta go...anywhere. She had then stopped eating & was hiding under the bed. This was for about a day & a half when I'd taken her to the vet to make sure there wasn't anything serious. Turned out she was backed up & needed an enema. That done the vet suggested keeping her on a wet food diet & that if she continues to not drink water to add a teaspoon to her food for added hydration. Doing this she seemed back to normal. But she has begun to vomit more & more. Maybe at least once a day or once every other day. Today I came home from work & noticed she'd only eaten a half of her food from earlier in the day. I only give her half a can twice a day. And now she's laying under the bed not wanting to come out. I'm concerned & at a loss about what is going on & what to do. Any ideas what it could possibly be? I hope I've given enough information to help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian

Hello Danielle,

I'm here to help you and my name is*****

There are two things that come to mind. The first is that your cat is chronically constipated. This can lead to a fecal impaction. Vomiting can accompany it.

I want you to try something very simple. Get some psillium from a health food store. You can usually find it in the herbs/spices/bulk food section. Psillium is a plant substance that is the main ingredient in Metamucil. But don't use Metamucil because it has other things in it too. Begin with ⅛ tsp. mixed in her wet food. See if this doesn't help soften the stool and allow her to have normal bowel movements, and stop the vomiting. If she is a large cat she might need ¼ tsp. Give it once daily. Psillium works by holding moisture. It softens stool and also helps with diarrhea. If she still has constipation she should probably be xrayed for an partial obstruction.

Secondly, if Pumpkin is vomiting without constipation, at her age, kidney disease should be ruled out. It can make her feel sick, vomit and lose her appetite.

Your recent move has no doubt stressed her. That makes everything worse.

One tip to get her to drink more water. Sometimes those fountain water dishes, where the water is moving, stimulates cats to drink more water.

You must realize that I am not doing a physical exam. I am responding to a small amount of information. There is no substitute to a physical exam by your own vet.

I hope that this has helped you Danielle. And I hope that Pumpkin will get better and enjoy her new home.

If you have any questions just respond to this email.

Please rate this service.

By the way, psillium is recommended by veterinary nutritionists.

Hi Danielle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian