Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We took are simeese 1year old cat to board days. never board

Customer Question

we took are simeese 1year old cat to board for 5 days. never board him be for he won't eat play come to us sleeping not cleaning him self act drinking water only we picked him up sat saw his food was not eating & has not had anything to eat to date. he was very playful before
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

When do you think Gunner last ate?

Is he drinking?

Does he want to eat but turn away? Or does he have no interest?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at least 3 days ago, no interest in eating, gums pale & sticky, tensing, i don't thinks he was boarded?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

What do you mean that you do not think he was boarded? That he didn't eat while he was boarded?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

As well, do you think those gums are paler then before he stopped eating?

Is he breathing heavier as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no hard breathing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now I have to say I am quite concerned about Gunner for 2 reasons.

First, cats are not well designed for anorexia. When they stop eating for days at a time, we see them often develop a condition called fatty liver syndrome. This can make getting them eating again even more difficult then the original reason that put them off food. So, this length of time even overlooking the cause for his appetite loss, is a real worry.

Further to this and even more a concern are those pale, sticky gums and tensing. This is because the stickiness tells us that he is dehydrated. And even more worryingly, the paling raises worries of possible anemia, oxygen uptake issues (less likely if he is breathing normally), but also internal bleeding. The last one is a real worry if he is tensing due to a blockage in his gut from something he ate, worms, or even due to the gut occluding itself.

With all this in mind and with how long it has been since he has eaten, I have to say that it would be best to have him to his vet urgently. They can start him on IV fluids to counter that dehydration, check for blockages, assess whether we have an internal bleed or anemia, and start him on medication (ie injectable antibiotics, anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants) to give him the best chance of recovery.

If there is any delay in you having him seen, I'd note that you can try to tempt him with an easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) or scrambled eggs. There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Or if he cannot be tempted, then we'd need to start syringe feeding a calorie dense diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery), liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure), or even water down kitten food to syringe feed. That way we can break his fast and try to at least offset fatty liver issues. Of course, if he were to vomit with this, we'd need to stop until he was treated.

Overall, this is a real worrying situation for Gunner. We have a few concerns for his GI signs (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites, etc); but with the paling of his gums and dehydration already we have even bigger worries. Therefore, this is a situation where we do not want to leave this to linger. So, use the above but it'd be prudent to have him checked for a blockage here and treated via injection to get him eating for us as quickly as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)