Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cats tail not standing, only about half way when walking,

Customer Question
what could this be?...
Cats tail not standing, only about half way when walking, what could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/29/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Lillu today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Most often this is the kind of presentation when there is a tail injury of some sort. Is there any evidence of trauma to the tail or do you know of any?

Is Lillu an indoor only cat or is she allowed outdoors as well?

Is there any swelling of the tail?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Indoor cat only and no swelling of her tail, we have aa almost 2 year old male and I think he may have clawed her there because I heard her scream out loud when it happened but did not see it.
Other then her tail there are no other issues, she eats and plays.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry for the delay.

It sounds like that may be the case. I would check the tail over well for any signs of a puncture wound as a bite may show up with the same presentation and these can be hard to see. Often, it is easier to feel than to identify visually as there may be a small scab that is covering the puncture. Even if there is no outwardly visible lesion, it is possible that there could be a soft tissue injury like a sprain. As long as she is still eating and playing and is eliminating normally, I would monitor for now and give her a few days to see if it improves. If it is not or if it is getting worse, you will want to have your vet examine her.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian