Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I recently adopted a cat. I took her to the vet within days

Customer Question

I recently adopted a cat. I took her to the vet within days of getting her. I was told that she was spayed but the vet told me he was sure that she was pregnant. She has bulges in her stomach and abdominal area. She has been throwing up. today is Sunday. What should I do? By the way she is not pregnant. I waited for what now is way, way over what should have been her "due" date. I never felt any kicks in her stomach from kittens either.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Because there's a discrepancy between what was thought by the vet and now she's vomiting, I need to consider that she either is pregnant but never delivered and now is becoming toxic due to fetal deaths or isn't pregnant and those bulges represent tumors instead. Vomiting patients are very difficult to manage at home because any medications given orally aren't likely to be retained. It would be prudent to have your cat attended to at your earliest convenience. X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen is likely to be recommended. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.