Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just caught my cat nibbling on a "frosty fern", not sure if

Customer Question

Just caught my cat nibbling on a "frosty fern", not sure if she ate any or just pulled the ends off and dropped them on the counter. How long till adverse affects show up IF she did ingest the tips?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Meeka was nibbling on your "Frosty Fern" (Selaginella kraussiana).

The good news is that this plant is not listed as a toxic plant by the ASPCA. It is listed as safe for cats, dogs and horses.

Any plant eaten in significant quantities can cause stomach upset simply due to increased amounts of rough material in the stomach and being an unusual food. But this plant does not contain any irritants nor is it organ toxic.

Meeka should be just fine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.