Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

What can I give my cat who has a urinary tract infections

Customer Question

What can I give my cat who has a urinary tract infections and was so sick last weekend that I took him to the vet and he did a procedure on him that made my cat seem almost as good as new. But the vet said my cat would have to eat this Science Diet product that my cat tried a couple of bites about 4 times and then wouldn't touc h it. What can I do to help save his life?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This poor guy. He's been through a lot in the past week. On the one hand, it would be wonderful if he ate the science diet product, but cats are fussy. There are two other brands that make great urinary tract food: Royal Canin Urinary So and Purina has a great prescription diet. So, in the longer-term I recommend you ask your vet to try these products. All these foods are guaranteed which means that you can take back the Science diet for a full refund and try a different diet.

On the other hand, it is crucial Sox eat. So, for the weekend or until your vet opens, please just feed him what he likes. IF he is used to a high quality canned food, then please offer that. Canned is always better than dry for a cat with urinary issues (provides more water). If I was his veterinarian I would prefer he eat something rather than refuse to eat at all. In the shorter term it should not make a huge difference since our goal is to try a different urinary diet. If he refuses ALL the urinary prescription diet (there are no non-prescription diets that will work), then you will need to have his urine monitored to see if he produces crystals. If so, then he will need a supplement to normalize his urine and prevent crystals.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am following up to find out how Sox has been doing. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers, ***** *****