petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 8-year-old short-hair cat has suddenly starting to eat

Customer Question

My 8-year-old short-hair cat has suddenly starting to eat toilet paper. She appears ok otherwise except that in 2 months I have not seen a hairball nor is there any dropping that I can really identify. Do we have a problem or just a phase?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is she eating her food normally but she is also eating toilet paper?

Had she been passing or vomiting hairballs in the past?

When was the last time you saw her pass a stool? Was it normal in appearance?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
eating normally - has passed and vomited hairballs in the past - last stool 2 days ago - not normal, small and dry. I have removed the paper from the roll in the bathroom from fear of her choking or developing a blockage in the intestine.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Cats will often chew on and eat non-food items when they have a GI disturbance. If her last stool was hard and dry and you have not seen one for a few days now, it may be that she is starting to become constipated. The human product Miralax® powder is very effective and safe. Use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp mixed in with canned food twice a day. It is an agent that draws water into the stool to help keep it soft and easier to pass.

I would also try to encourage increased water intake by adding warm water or broth to her food to make it as soupy as she will allow. If she is not more regular in another day or two and passing softer stools, I would definitely have her evaluated by your vet to make sure there is nothing else going on.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rosemary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would agree to pay you except that the rules that I read commit me to a whole lot of additional group of charges over a yearly period. Can you give me a number to call? I wish to cancel the membership.