Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have battled fleas and now my 9 year old cat has been

Customer Question

Hello, I have battled fleas for sometime and now my 9 year old cat has been diagnosed with what we thought was hemobartonella. He has had a blood transfusion (8 days ago) which took his RBC from 8 to 14 and now today they are at 12. Initially they thought cancer then they finally listened to us saying how bad the fleas were and we were given clindamyacin. Today our cat visited the vet and she said after 10 doses of the clindamycin she was hoping for a better RBC than 12. The vet said she does not think he has leukemia but some type of blood cancer. I don't believe it. I think he is sick with anemia and hemobartonella. DO you think another transfusion and changing his antibiotics could possibly turn this around. He is going to the bathroom, not dehydrated, but very tired and worn out. He is on Clindymacin and steroids. I read doxycycline, tetracycline is used to treat hemobatonella. Should we ask to change his antibiotic. He is eating 3/4 cans of food a day and 10-15 cat treats. His eating has cut back and we are spoon feeding him. He is not dehydrated. Please help. Thank you so much.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

When they originally tested his blood, did they say if he had a "regenerative" response?