Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our cat is about 7years old and traveled to Florida and back

Customer Question

Our cat is about 7years old and traveled to Florida and back for all her years. Suddenly she goes nuts when we try to get her in her cage. My husband tried to get her in her cage this
morning and she went nuts;biting and scratching him (she only has back claws).
What can I do to prevent this from happening,
Deloresa Druzsba (###) ###-####
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi Deloresa. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Gracie. How long ago did she start to get anxious about getting into her carrier? What type of carrier is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 years ago.
2 types of carrier. 1 carrier is on the small side, the other is a cage big enough for a small dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

With cats and their dislike of getting into carriers, it can be something that she's now had a bad experience with it and she remembers that. Options to help desensitize her to it are keep the carrier in an area she's at more so she can see it / be around it on a consistent basis. Some over time realize / learn that the carrier is only being brought in from the garage / up from the basement when travel is needed that they may not be excited about any more. Some only see the carrier when a trip to the vet is needed and thus the carrier is the vehicle for a bad experience. Keeping the carrier out for her to constantly be around it can help to make her less anxious / scared of it. Placing treats or food in it for her to get in and out occasionally can help desensitize her too. Some can be a challenge to get into certain carriers. For those more nervous / less willing to get into carriers, I like to use the load from the top carriers where it is easier to get them in. The other good option is to set them on a towel and wrap this snuggly around them to secure legs and then set the "burrito" kitty in the carrier where they can then get out of the towel.