Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My name is ***** *****. My cat is 8 years old, part Persian.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My cat is 8 years old, part Persian. He has started to make loud swallowing noises when purring, and has been very lethargic. The vet treated him for Conjunctivitis last week, since he has brownish red discharge from his eyes. He is eating and drinking and has regular bowel movements. He feels kind of warm, too
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, what could be causing the excessive swallowing and tiredness
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. It's reasonable to assume that the same infectious agent causing his conjunctivitis is also causing a "sore throat" - a pharyngitis/laryngitis - which has resulted in those noises and lethargy. The most common of these agents is the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) but, thankfully, the great majority of cats will remiss unaided from FHV-1 within 1-3 weeks. I don't treat with antibiotics and I don't require a vet visit unless my patient has become inappetent and requires supplemental fluids by needle and/or force-feeding.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.