Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I fostered 2 kitties when they were 3 and 6 weeks old. We

Customer Question
raised them in the bathroom...
I fostered 2 kitties when they were 3 and 6 weeks old. We raised them in the bathroom (huge bathroom), and we would take them out and play with them all the time. So, they would eat wet food twice a day half of a 3oz can in the morning and evening, so 1 3oz can per kitty everyday (we have tried many different brands of food). Then, we decided to possibly keep the them. The older one stopped eating wet food one day, and when the younger one was done, it would eat the older ones. No growling or hissing in this process. So, at this point, that they have the whole house to themselves. I put the older ones wet food downstairs and now is it eating it...but only half of it. I hate to waste food, but not sure why it isn't eating all of it (then the younger one comes and eats the other half). They have dry food always available. So, upstairs I have 2 litter boxes, right next to each other. A bowl of dry food and water and the bowl for wet food for the younger one. Downstairs, I have no litter boxes, a bowl of water and dry food, and the bowl of wet food for the older one. I guess after all that, my question is, why is it only eating half of it? Since we are in the position of possibly keeping them, they aren't spayed (sorry, I forgot to mention they are both females) the older one is 15 weeks old, and the younger one is 11 weeks old. Should this be done ASAP? And they get along just fine. Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/20/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I can understand why you might be concerned about the older kitten's decreased interest in the canned food you're putting out but if she's gaining weight and otherwise acting like a normal kitten should, I don't know if I'd be too worried about it. It's possible that she just doesn't like the taste of the brand you're feeding any more or know that's she's bigger, she may have decided that she doesn't really like canned food that much.

This is a phenomenon that I've encountered with cats in the past: They have very decided preferences about what they like and what they don't in terms of flavor and consistency of food (canned versus dry).

I wouldn't necessarily let the younger one finish off what she doesn't want since she's going to become overweight if she's taking in more calories than she needs. If these were my cats, I'd only put out 1/2 the amount of canned food for the older one as you have been doing since that's all she wants to eat.

Every vet has a different protocol as to when they like to spay cats but usually it's around 6 months of age so you have a bit of time before this procedure is done.

I hope this helps although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply.. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian