Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had four kittens yesterday and one was born with its

Customer Question

My cat had four kittens yesterday and one was born with its back legs deformed....almost looks like club foot...on both feet....my question is will they straighten as it grows or not
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now it does depend wholly on the type of deformation that Clarabell has to what her prognosis is for this. Some will be permanent changes that would require surgery to correct. Still, the most common reason for what you have described is contracture of the tendons such that they pull the foot into an abnormal position. If mild, these kittens can be treated with immediate supportive care. Generally speaking, we tend to need to warm compress, massage, and flex/extend the joints to get the tendons to relax and allow the foot to take a normal position. For more severe cases, we sometimes even need to use frequency bracing to again gently stretch those tendons so that the foot position can return to normal. You can read more about this and how to do so HERE. If you have any difficulties with this or her deformation is severe, then we'd want to have her local vet aid you in bracing and addressing this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )