Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I got my guinea pig over a week ago and ever since a couple

Customer Question
of days ago she has...
I got my guinea pig over a week ago and ever since a couple of days ago she has been itching a lot and shedding accessively. Her personality also seemed to change very much. She gets very scared easily and is always running away. Do you know what this could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian

Hi there!

There are several causes for itchiness in Guinea Pigs, but one of the most common is mange (skin mites); these tend to make Guinea Pigs very itchy, so much so that some of them start having seizures. Other possible reasons are: fleas, ringworm and infections (bacteria/yeast), although there are others, less common causes.

The best thing to do is to get Funji to a vet and have her checked for those conditions; one she is diagnosed, she could be treated accordingly. If you are unable to take her to the vet, you could try treatment for mites but unless you know what's going on, it would be difficult to expect improvement.

A product you could try is called carbaryl powder (5%) under the name of Sevin Dust; this is sold at hardware stores and is safe to use on Guinea Pigs - spread lightly over the haircoat once a week for at least 2 treatments and if no improvement then, definitely take her in to be seen. But.. it's better to get a diagnosis first, before any treatment is started.

Hope this helps!

Hi Julia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Funji. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian