Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 1.5 pound, 8 week old kitten who licked a plate

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1.5 pound, 8 week old kitten who licked a plate that had an omelet that was cooked with fresh, minced garlic and onion. She probably only licked it for maybe 15 seconds tops and she did eat one, very small piece of chopped omelet. There
were no pieces of garlic on the plate. I know that onions and garlic are toxic to pets. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Actually, this would be a very small dose for Calliope and we'd not expect any issues from this. If anything, we could see a bit of short term stomach upset, but even that isn't likely. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor her here +/- offer a light diet like boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) for the next 24 hours if she does show any stomach upset.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, she did eat one, very small piece of chopped onion, not omelet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Actually, this would be a very small dose (even with a small piece of onion) for Calliope and we'd not expect any issues from this. If anything, we could see a bit of short term stomach upset, but even that isn't likely. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor her here +/- offer a light diet like boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) for the next 24 hours if she does show any stomach upset.

I hope this information is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. B.